Friday, September 12, 2008

Outloud

I'm sitting and writing three alternative openings to a paper of mine. Before you go thinking how academic that is of me, don't-it's part of the assignment. But it's actually a good idea because starting the paper I couldn't configure a fun opening as I like to write them, but now having done the assignment I've come up with several to choose from, so mission accomplished I guess.

I haven't talked to a person in a couple hours so after checking my email four times in one minute I decided to blog and act like I was talking to someone. I don't know, I guess i have a bigger "talk to people" need then i thought.

Part of the article I'm writing about makes a claim that "anonymity breeds rudeness" and that our society is moving closer and closer to being completely secluded. I sort of agree with this. With groceries able to be purchased online and headphones becoming as common as sunglasses i can see where technology is pushing us inward. But i don't agree that it's leading towards a day when we'll all live in virtual cubicles, shut off from each other and the world. The fact that I felt the need to talk to someone after being on the computer for so long shows that it will never get to that point. Our need for other people is inherent and unquenchable.

In a book i once read called, "Blue like jazz" the author talks about our need to be loved. He says that hell is really the ultimate punishment since it's being utterly alone for-ever.
It's like a hunger we have, one of our most basic needs to be with people and i'm thankful we have it. I crave that time of laughter and discussion that grows you, and as I'm quickly finding out, the internet (i.e-blogging) doesn't really fill that need.
But, in reference to another point i'm writing about, in my hierarchy of values right now, being with people doesn't need to be number one-getting a good grade on my paper does (quality rather then quantity) so i'm out, and you should be to-get off the internet and go talk to someone face to face!
but thanks for reading :)

3 comments:

Angela said...

Did you see the movie Wall-E? If not, you should. It's about what you just wrote about.

And thanks for the gentle nudge to get back to work. I do have things that I really should be doing instead of playing on the computer. :)

amber said...

I think sometimes we seek out the seclusion because it’s safe. If we keep everyone at arm’s length, we’re never able to get hurt or be disappointed. Yet the reverse is also true. We’re never able to allow anyone to see the ‘real’ us; the us that craves to be loved. By shutting everyone out, we’re never able to experience the comfort of a hug or the feeling of rightness when surrounded by those who care about us or know the person standing beside you is the one God’s been saving for you until just the right time. I’ve heard that we’re all created with a God-shaped hole inside of us and though we may try numerous ways to fill that void, it can only be truly filled when we allow God to inhabit us. Part of following God is showing His love to others by loving them ourselves. We do this when we open up to others and move past the “How are you?” “I’m good. How are you?” that we all politely ask each other but never expect an honest answer. A few years ago I went to the doctor, suspecting I had strep but wishing with every achy bone in my body that I was wrong. The doctor came in and asked how I was. I felt like crap but immediately responded, “I’m good. How are you?” It’s funny because on the surface it seems like we’re genuinely concerned with each other’s well being but in reality, we’re only reacting to what’s been ingrained in us: to have a casual interest in each other without putting us out too much. I realize this isn’t always the case, that some people do really care and I’m proud to say that my church has a lot of people like that who want to know how you’re REALLY doing. Moving back to the topic for this blog, I agree that we’ll never be able to do without human contact. We were made to desire those relationships. After all, once God created Adam, He said it wasn’t good for man to be alone and then created Eve. I think the underlying message is that men can’t live without women but that’s just one girl’s opinion :-)

TheSpiff.com said...

i would read an amber blog!