Tuesday, September 2, 2008

More then Religion

I just got done reading a very long debate over the motion that "America is too religious" and I have some things to say...
Both sides of the debate did a respectable job at presenting their case. The people who were for the motion and under the belief that America is, in fact, too religious, cited many many religious fanatics and their admittedly, crazy practices and the harm they could do on the fabric of our government and our society.
The other side argued that if you look back in history Christians are at the forefront of every positive change in our way of life and that the morals they hold can only do us good.

I think it's interesting that you have so many people willing to speak up for the absence of God in our society and yet the hours/days following 9/11 you had people all over the nation praying, using "God", and repeatedly asking for Him to bless the USA. So I guess in times of crisis it's ok for God to show up, but we apparently don't need Him in every day life.

Tomorrow in class we get to talk about this debate. There's no question in my mind which side the professor is on. He's used the small amount of semester so far to serve up his political agenda on a silver plater and most of the students have looked over the selection and sampled without question. I don't think it's his place to gripe about the President or pass on political beliefs in an English class, but I guess others would argue that I'm crazy. Which is exactly what you can call me for thinking English should be about writing and not about left or right agenda's.

But tomorrow I'm going to enter class and pick over each argument in this debate about religion and I'll get to hear as most of my classmates bow down to the professors beliefs and bash religion and it's place in our society. And while I won't sit there and try to cram my own beliefs down their throats I will try to convey that religion is more then having God's name stamped in prominent places of government, but that it's protection of a higher power.

Granted if belief in this higher power isn't had by all then the effect of even mentioning it is null and void, but if I can convey to them the awesomeness of living for someone who loves you beyond bounds then I will. If I can get the point across that having a close relationship with your creator is like everything good on this earth combined and multiplied by a billion, then I will.
If I can erase the notions of religion that say that God is angry at you or that He hates you because of the sins you commit then I will because He doesn't.

I sat in on a class once where a girl told the teacher that God hates people who get divorced. And I just sat there. I said nothing. I sat and listened as the teacher was astounded and believed everything the girl said. I could have remedied that but I didn't, I could have said, "God doesn't hate those people, He loves them!" but didn't and it's still something I regret, but I'm going to learn from it and move on and no longer sit idle as other notions like that are tossed around.

I've got to go to bed, or else I'll keep writing, but I pray that God gives me the wisdom and right words to say throughout the rest of this semester in this class so that I can leave a lasting impression for good and cause everyone to walk away wanting more of God.

2 comments:

Cindy Helton said...

I have to to admit I was intrigued by the juxtaposition of your two most recent blog titles so I had to check out the content. I hope you will keep us posted as this class unfolds. I admire your boldness and know you will do well.

amber said...

This is a subject that I’m really touchy about. The whole separation of church and state frustrates me because as a Christian, I don’t know how I could easily remove God from some parts of my life and not others. I love your point about how people want God out of everything but when tragedy hits, He’s the one they’re crying out to. What good parent only shows up in emergencies? Isn’t a parent always present, loving and even correcting when necessary? Since God is our heavenly Father, shouldn’t we expect the same from Him? To only think He’s there in dire situations doesn’t give Him nearly enough credit and means we’re without Him until those desperate times. God’s love for us is endless but we can’t pick and choose when He can have access to our lives. With God, it’s a “here’s my life, do with it what You want,” and then we try to live that out each day. Will we mess up? That’s a guarantee. But just like with earthly parents, we can go to Him, ask His forgiveness and be able to start over. It’s like when we’re little and we fall down. We run to our parents, tears running down our dirt smudged faces as they pick us up, wipe away the tears and put a band-aid on the ‘boo-boo.’ Then we’re off again, all thoughts of pain and hurt nothing but a fading memory as we go and play some more.