Wednesday, May 14, 2008

RETURN TO SENDER:

I intend to email a lot more.
Not because I have more things to say or more people to say things to, but because I am acutely aware of the blessed "freeness" that emails afford.

Snail mail now costs an extra penny to send. A penny.

Last week I went to the post office to buy enough postage to mail my body and got in a bit of a confusing conversation with the woman behind the counter who of course had an accent...

me: i need to mail 150 of these.
her: mmm...this letter is going to cost a 1.50 to send
me: WHAT
her: wait this may fit through the slot let me try it...ok it fits, never mind it will take a .42 cent stamp plus two .17 cent stamps but if you mail them out after monday you'll have to come in and add money to them all I don't know how much that will be but you'll have to do it or we won't send it or you can buy a forever stamp but you'll still have to come in to add money to it-a penny, you'll have to add a penny to it. but if you mail them out before monday you'll have to add .17 cent stamp minus five add a penny and unless you add a forever stamp you'll be paying .42 cents unless you mail them monday.
me:...
me:what?
her: repeat paragraph above
me:...ok so what do i need to buy to send these out today?
her: one .42 cent stamp and a .17 cent stamp
me: ok. so i'll get those..do have anything that doesn't have a ram's head on the front?
her: no mam that costs extra.

So for the love of god don't send a letter out with an old stamp unless you've attached an extra Lincoln head to it-in fact do it literally just to piss the postage people off :)

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hey! I know what you were mailing because I got one of the 150 in the mail on Monday! So exciting!