Monday, December 21, 2009

Merry Bleepmas

Walking into Sam's yesterday you're immediately greeted not only with the Club "id checker" or "bouncer" haha as I like to think about it, but you're also immediately reminded of the holiday with all of their great Christmas presents right there at the door.
But giving the greeter a hearty "Merry Christmas" only got us a mere "same to you" causing us to realize they're probably not allowed to say it back.

"Sam Walton would be rolling over in his grave" I said as we walked away.
After that a "Merry Christmas" was dished out to the McDonalds drive through employee who looked for a second as if he were going to say it back and instead gave a weak, "thanks."

What my husband and I found so fascinated yesterday as we drove home was the number of employees that can't say it back to us. You would think that if someone offers up a Merry Christmas they would at least be allowed to return it, but apparently they can't.

What I would like to know is if these people who have raised such a rucus about saying Christmas..do they not slip up and say it at all themselves? Do they never say Christmas presents or Christmas time? I would really like to know someone who was of the opinion that we "shouldn't be inforcing our religious beliefs by saying "Christmas"' cause if I did, I would so call them out on it every. single. time. they said the word.

It's sad that such a loud mouth minority like that has rule over what we wish each other as we get our change.

I'm not completely against saying Happy Holidays, I used to say it all the time when I was a cashier at Target. It's a phrase that does encompass all the holidays, and if that's the reason you say it, then more power to you. It's the "political correctness" that I don't like, or not returning "Merry Christmas" at all that's weak sauce.

So I double dare you, in the next week, overstate your Merry Christmas. Do it.

At the mall on Saturday my sister and I encountered a man who was standing at the door wishing everyone a Merry Christmas as they walked in. As we walked out she said, "You know maybe he's trying to make a statement." I hope she's right. And if I see him again I may just stand next to him and offer my voice next to his. Because it's Christ that starts this whole thing, not "Same to you."

1 comment:

Alicia said...

We saw that guy in the mall Saturday. We weren't sure whether he was affiliated with the mall or not, simply because he was actually saying "Merry Christmas." To everybody. If he was with the mall, at least they're doing something right. (And if he wasn't -- that's actually pretty ballsy (sorry, only word that came to mind), and I'm glad for him. I also hope he didn't get arrested. :-) )