Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Darndest Things

Taking the world in through a child's perspective is a useful thing.
Lewis writes, "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

"Childlike" is something to be guarded.
The faith of a child, the unbounded love, the belief without logic those are precious commodities.
One of the reasons I decided to write to children is because their mind can more easily relax into situations of fiction. Where an adult might think, "Now how did he get that bunny to come out of that hat?" a child would think, "Woah! A bunny!"

I got a phone call today saying that a little boy I recently went on vacation with is spreading the rumor at his daycare that I played a large role in drowning him. After my threatening phone call to the kids he told, I couldn't help but laugh ;)

Devon is four and embarked on his virgin voyage to the beach last week. I took him out into the ocean to give him a ride on the boogie board with careful instructions to keep his mouth closed as there are few tastes as bitter as a big gulp of salt water. Being four he must have forgotten because he got a big gulp of it the second time we tried and after I helped him cough it out he stated simply, "I drownded." Myself and others tried to reassure him otherwise, but he was bent on painting me as a killer to other boys and girls.

Lewis points out in an essay of his that a tree doesn't shed rings as it grows, it maintains the old ones while it aquires the new. The same is true with people. We shouldn't shed as we get older but rather build, expand, grow.

He writes, "
to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development." This is said because what people tend to do is to label arrested developement as anyone who has a taste for childlike things, when really it's their own fear of childishness that inhibits.

Honestly I'm at a loss on how to end this blog because I could go on.
All I am saying is give kids a chance.

Throw a sippy cup in the air and sing THAT outloud.

No comments: