Friday, July 10, 2009

Thank you Sloane Crosley

Today, as made evident by my twitter, I visited the bookstore.

I had two books in mind that I wanted to catch up with, the first was "I was told there'd be cake" by Sloane Crosley which is a collection of essays told by a girl who could sneeze and it would be witty, and the second was the Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart which is a children's book I've now decided to read as it is on the New York Times best seller list along with it's sequel.

Why I have just told you those things, I'm not sure. My purpose has been distracted. What bothers me even more is the fact that I just did a question and answer thing at the first of this paragraph. Do people who pose a question simply to make a point by answering it themselves make me want to scratch their eyes out? Yes. (voice rising in pitch with each word).

Ah yes. My intentions. I was going to include some quotes I lifted from the Cake book. Well, actually I was and then I wasn't, the thought of rewording them and stamping my own name at the bottom DID cross my mind, but hey we can keep this between ourselves, yeah? If you hear me say any of this at a party turn to the person next to you and say, "How inspiring she is!"

From Sloane Crosley's "I was told there'd be cake":

"I started crying the kind of hysterical tears made justifiable only by turning off one's cell phone, putting it to the ear and pretending to be told of a death in the family."

"She gave me looks so stern I believe she burned calories creating them."

"It's a trip down memory lane, which, if you don't turn off at the right exit, merges straight into the Masochistic Nostalgia Highway."

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Okay, I'm gonna have to read this book now. Thanks for spreading the interest!