Sunday, May 24, 2009

In a debat against an Atheist, my money's on the Marsh-Wiggle

Play the desert island game with me for a second:
If you were going to be stranded on an island and could take only one book, which would it be? (don't be all Suzzy Spiritual and say the Bible either)

Mine...The Chronicles of Narnia (I have a version where all the books are combined into one so I'm not cheating when I say that).

Why? Aside from the brilliant writing and plot lines of Mr. Lewis, the spiritual truths laced throughout the book would have both my mind and my spirit fed for years.

One such example is found in the second to the last book of the chronicles, "The Silver Chair" and while it isn't my favorite (no children's book can hold even the smallest of candles to "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader") it's not without Lewis' brilliant wit.

This book is all about two children and a Marsh-Wiggle (the defining of which would generate a ramble so I'll spare you, just picture a scare-crow) and their journey to restore the rightful king to the Narnian throne.
There is one particular scene when they have broken a horrid spell and are addressing the witch who is attempting to cast another spell over them by convincing them that all they know to be true was in fact a dream.
What breaks them out of this spell is a clever speech from the Marsh-Wiggle, that as I've already hinted at, would squelch even the most boisterous of atheists....
Oh and the Aslan they speak of is the figure that represents God-just keep that in mind...

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things-trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

I've often thought that when thinking about believing in God. A popular lie is that there isn't a God, but really the peace that's found believing in a supreme being as awesome and powerful as my God is totally worth it.

If there is one thing you read this summer, it should be The Chronicles of Narnia.

1 comment:

Mitchell said...

Is you argument for God really "it makes me feel good, so it doesn't matter if it's true?"

What if I say not believing in God is incredibly liberating and brings an immense peace to my life?

You see, that's not an argument for anything. Well, perhaps for a children's book. ;)