Tuesday, May 12, 2009

And so it begins...but not without a look back

The creators of the books where you choose your own ending really had a good idea. Not only do they make their book uniquely fresh each read, but they allow the reader to make their own choices, then see an immediate consequence to that choice.

A "choose your own adventure" in real life would be fantastic, no?

The opportunity to take a look at where each of our choices lead would put us in an entirely different place (and of course bump out the "imperfect" world thing we've got going on).

I started thinking about this in reference to my years in college. Choosing to start off as a music major seemed like a good idea at the time, however that particular adventure lead me to realize it wasn't for me, but not after having used up whole semesters that would eventually put me back years in my goal.

Had I chosen English right off the bat I could have graduated years earlier...had I graduated years earlier I would have settled in a job more than likely and had I been established in a job I would have said a big fat NO to the move from Florida...had I said no to moving I would not have met Dayton and well, you do the math...

One choice affected my whole adventure.

While this thought is undoubtedly scary for some (fear of the unknown, fear of making the wrong decision) I find it invigorating.

Having our life spread before us in a small paper back form where the ending is found on page 98 would be seemingly uber-beneficial, but really it would end up more like fat-less bacon--limp and tasteless (haha I'm going to create a good one of those simile's day dangit!).

At the risk of sounding like a Steven Curtis Chapman song...enjoy the adventure. We've got the map maker at our disposal and if we strive to listen for His voice it He'll make the whole thing really worth while.

No comments: