Saturday, April 4, 2009

Poetry week concluded.

I'll finish out Poetry Week with my recent favorite.
We had to write a poem where we put ourselves in someone else's shoes and so I took a group of people that I'm probably the most fascinated with and clipped a moment from their life. So here is the resulting work...


Celebrity

I woke up this morning thirsty
For my daily cup of coffee
Desirous of its black face, its warm, bold
Body. I surrender my position in bed
For a gray cashmere sweater and sweats,
I gather my bodyguards, my assistant, phone
My driver who rushes me, covers me like a fair skinned baby
To the nearest coffee shop where in clouds of black and gray
We exit the vehicle, overtaken by sudden bursts
Of light—the lights that with every flash capture
Little reasons why I sometimes look at the want ads in my hometown paper
And think of freedom as a fluid word. Finally when the fresh, inky
Cup of the warm liquid reflects my face we shuffle back
To the car, enclosed once again behind impenetrable doors
The outside world straining to see in, while I am straining to see out.

2 comments:

daynagonzalez said...

I promise to buy every book you publish!

Angela said...

Fantastic. Absolutely.