Thursday, February 12, 2009

"it's like batman and superman becoming one superhero"

Love is making a big appearance this weekend.
Life has been a buzz with the subject of love for about a solid week now becuase of the special day Saturday which elicits (from what I've experienced) either moans or shrugs.
In fact, come to think of it you don't come across many people excited about Valentines day. Singles and couples alike seem to dread the holdiay either because they have no one to celebrate it with or they have the obligation of celebrating it.
Hm. Kinda the whole "greener on the other side" thing.
But none of that is what this blog is supposed to be about...

I wanted to write about marriage.

If you've watched any amount of television or movies you've already been introduced (whether subconsciouly or consciously) to the fact that "Society" places many negative connotations on the institution.
Watch as every joke relating to marriage ends with a ball and chain, or no more fun/no more sex type reference. Or on the blatant side, one show I've seen opened with all the main characters in bed with their men, and while the girls with boyfriends were all having fun, the shot of the only married couple was one of them two feet away from each other snoring heavily.
*adjusts soap box*

Allow me to set the record straight. Marriage is a beautiful thing. In fact I've found myself thinking/saying that God is a genius for inventing it.
Not only do you have that one person you can be completely open and (pardon the pun..or not) naked with, but in coming together with your powers combine you form one super human. It's like Batman and Superman becoming one superhero-able to literally fly but if cryptonite makes an appearance you've still got the batmobile and the cool gadgets for back up.
And while that's blowing your brain think about this...*Billy Mays voice* Marriage is like slumber parties with your best friend every single night for the rest of your life!
And even though I've heard from numerous party poopers, er uh, women that this blissful feeling will fade within the next five years or so I'm confident that it will not. God never intended for marriage to work and be pleasant for a certain time period, it's forever and like a good wine (which I understand only in theory) will only get better with time.
That's all for now,
Happy Love Day!

4 comments:

daynagonzalez said...

In June, Owen and I will celebrate 8 years of marriage...and we are still excited to have Valentine's Day this weekend! You are right. If you treat your marriage the way God intended, it only gets better with time. I know that Owen loves me more today than he did the day he met me, and the same is true for my love of him. Congratulations on your first REAL Valentine's Day! :o)

amber said...

really liked this post :-) and i wasn't sure what to expect from the title but it makes me look forward to when i get married someday and together will fight evil alongside my very own caped crusader :-)

Alicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alicia said...

I guess I'm more or less ambivalent towards Valentine's Day -- I've never had any experience to make me all excited about the holiday, but I also don't at all understand the antagonism and hateful feelings people have towards a day that is about the exact opposite of those feelings. But I do like your post. :-) I really enjoy seeing happily married people being happy about marriage and each other -- I think I'll just have to join ya'll in that someday. :-D