Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Confession:

I am intentionally committing a self-proclaimed sin. I'm not going to finish the book I started.

Certain I'm not the only one to do this, I do it fully aware of the breech in many things, such as the flow of the book if I choose to pick it back up, or the flow of my reading list, which for this year includes now 14 and 1/2 books, and the breech in my self inflicted contract of researching childrens books before I write my own.

I just can't finish this one. It's by someone who once was my favorite children's author, but is now teetering on the brink of #2.

The book is called, The mysterious edge of the heroic world and it's the characters (flat) and the scenery (dilapidated) that have failed to meet my imagination's standards. I may push through, but really is it so wrong to shut the door on that world in the middle of a scene?
Is it so rude to excuse oneself without giving the characters a fore-warning?

I think not. At least half of me does, the other half will embark on a condemning diatribe every time I pass the thing and I will think to myself, "I should pick that up again" which is invariably followed by, "but really I should start from the beginning" and then I will blink and the notion will pass.

Hopefully, my new book (The Great Gatsby) will give my imagination enough of a workout to be in shape again.

No comments: