Friday, June 19, 2009

Mrs. Word Smith

I love words, especially those that are considered a delicacy to our language, ie- "incandescently" could make a come back and I would be ok with it.
I am currently on the hunt for one particular word or phrase, but in that chase I've come across some rare finds. Here are some words to tickle your gray matter...

I can be described as ombrophilous (one who is tolerant of large amounts of rain).

Ever wonder what a Yak and a Cow would reproduce if they got jiggy with it? Wonder no more, their offspring is referred to as a Zho.

No need to deny your love of Winnie the Pooh, embrace it! Major in arctophily (the study of teddy bears-No. Joke.)

Sign me up for Pogonophile's anonymous cause I happen to like them, especially Dayton's (one who loves beards)

Tobaccophile-really? that simple? Yet loving wood has got to be this complicated!?- xylophilous

So what's the room set up like in a "Conquering Your Cathisophobia" meeting? (fear of sitting down)

hmm possible pick up line..."Hey baby, do you mind taking that off, I have linonophobia" (fear of string)

Funny sounding words:
Mumpsimus: a view stubbornly held even when shown to be wrong
Tintinnabulate: to ring as a bell; to tinkle (as in bell, not as in potty)
Widdershins: counterclockwise

I could go on, but I'll stop, thanks to http://phrontistery.info/favourite.html for providing all the fun!

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Haha! Those were pretty funny :)

Alicia said...

All of those were funny and interesting. And yet the first thing that struck me was my love of "incandescently", brought on by that lovely quote: "You may only call me 'Mrs. Darcy' when you are completely, and perfectly, and incandescently happy." *Sigh*