Monday, April 21, 2008

Business About Funny

Humor is a funny thing.
Its fascinating to me that we really have no control over what we find funny.
Random screaming for example, can usually get a giggle or a "lol" from me.
Redneck humor however does not.
Sarcasm-absolutely hilarious.
Movies that contain Eddie Murphy-not so much.

Stand up comedians are difficult to win me over. For the most part I watch them and laugh on the inside.
I do, however, find Jerry Seinfeld, Brian Reagan, and Jim Gaffigan-lol funny.
ie: "I never eat a hot pocket and think, 'i'm really glad i ate that.'" -gaffigan

Smart physical comedy is not only smart-its funny.
And nothing beats wit or a well thought out sitcom plot line, the best example of which is Frasier.
SNL is funny, but only when they don't take the joke too far-a fault they often display.

But again i come back to my original point that humor is a funny thing. How do we determine what we laugh at? can it be changed? is our funny bone established in our dna? or is humor an acquired taste?
I'm sure there are humorists out there that study these things, and if i come across a book that better explains it i will definitely research it myself.

meanwhile, i'll stick to laughing
every chance i get.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Wow Elizabeth, you're on a roll!! Keep em' coming!

The thing I hate most is when I'm sitting in like a class or church or a meeting, and something funny happens and I can't stop laughing. Then every time I think of it I crack up all over again and everybody thinks I'm crazy 'cause whatever it was happened 30 minutes ago and I'm still giggling about it!

Angela said...

p.s. Dayna and I went to Jimbo's wedding this past weekend :)