Friday, February 5, 2010

My Sentimental Resume

Counting papers just now led me to thinking about the various skills I've picked up from my many jobs.
What started the thought process is the fact that I have a myriad of paper counting abilities that I learned from the printers wife who was my last boss.
I've been secretly storing these abilities in my back pocket, hoping that one day I'll find myself in a paper counting emergency with a group of people I'd like to impress. When that day comes I'll say WAIT if you do this *wisk, bam, boom* you'll know that you have 1, 503 sheets of paper.
The crowd will watch in a stunned silence and everyone drop to their knees and cry out in praise.
In my days of counting paper, it's amazing how often I've envisioned that.
For real.

I thought that it would be neat to go down my job history and think back to all the things I've picked up at each one. I don't mean to bore. You can do the same, start your own blog, and write about yourself as much as you want. Until then, read on:

Target: This was the greatest first job EVER. And from it I learned a lot. Being a customer service person for most of it, I learned a lot about pleasing people and just what it feels like to get a package of sheets thrown at your head. I learned a lot about retail, and how important it is to have good relationships with everyone you work with. And I definitely realized how important it is to be patient with the person explaining company policy-they didn't come up with the idea, they're just paid minimum wage to get it across to you.

Law Offices of Christopher J. Hurst: He was a real estate lawyer and in this job as the front desk person I learned a lot about proper office decorum. I also learned that when someone says they'll "work with your school schedule" that holds true till about August when school actually starts. Moving on...

MediaPro: This was the beginning of my trek in the world of telemarketing. It's an ugly, nasty world. This place was cool though. I didn't learn anything professionally, but I did learn that you can make such an impact on people by just being you. It's so important to be a light wherever you go, and leaving there showed me that I made more of a difference then I ever thought possible.

Dyrex: Oo and speaking of the ugly, nasty world of telemarketing...this place was the nastiest of them all. Here I learned that God has everything under control, no matter how much of a Jackass your boss may be. It's good to be reminded that we don't rely on bosses, and this job did just that.

NuImage: this is where the paper counting skills were learned and honed. This was a great job, and I can't even begin to sum up everything I learned there (it would take a whole other blog). I'm really, truly appreciative of it.

My current job has taught me a lot (make me your date at the next Quickbooks party and I can hob nob with the best of them). As did the little filler jobs I had along the way (HomeGoods, UNF bookstore, Accountant for a landscaping company). It's neat to look back at my job quilt, if you will, and see all the different patterns that make up the blanket of my..life..what?! How cheesy is that?!

Anyway, it is neat to take a look back at where you've come from at least in the job market and see how each little experience added some kind of ingredient to who you are today (food reference!! :)

Ps. Listening to John Mayer makes me want to be a songwriter.

No comments: